Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Do you know what your Web Identity is?

Since our world has become a virtual experience, we need to remember that even our lives and careers are being judged by our activity online, especially through social media and sharing.

Have you ever heard of the term "web identity?"

Your web identity is exactly how it sounds, it's you online. Take a moment to Google your name, what comes up? For most people, their Facebook profile shows up in the first spot or at least in the top 5. For others who are published online, work in digital media or are web enthusiasts have more associated with their name. Most are articles, blogs or photos.

The crazy thing is now employers, schools and anyone for that matter can learn about you just by searching your name. People need to start thinking of how they can impact their web identity in a positive way.

For my last two jobs, my employers looked at my web identity and used this information to judge whether they should hire me or not. Luckily I have been working on my web identity since 2002 and realized that I need to aware of what my name is associated with. I made sure photos that were inappropriate were not made public, the articles that were published online were the best representations of me and double checked all of my privacy settings for my social media accounts.

Students need to pay attention to this the most. They are entering a world where web identity is a major gauge of their academic career. Think of it as your online resume. People will be looking to see what you're doing and if you have qualities that best represent the company.

It's always harder to take things down from the web than it is to take that extra minute to filter your information.

Google your name...what does your web identity look like?

2 comments:

  1. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    yo delay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andi! If you have any digital media or marketing questions, feel free to ask.;)

      Delete